Dr. Kimberly Huynh
May 31, 2023 · 4 min
Are you waking up with neck pain?
Your pillow may be the culprit. The wrong pillow can cause improper spinal alignment throughout the night leading to an array of problems from affecting sleep quality, pain, headaches, breathing issues, to jaw pain.
Unlike a traditional pillow, an orthopedic pillow is specifically designed to contour your sleeping position while offering support to the cervical spine (neck), shoulders, and thoracic spine (upper back). An orthopedic pillow's capacity to modify the spine to its natural cervical curvature sets it apart from a regular pillow.
An orthopedic pillow may lead to better sleep quality. Poor sleep hygiene can lead to an array of problems including lack of productivity, general physical and mental fatigue, to cardiovascular problems. From drifting off earlier to less waking up in between sleep, you may feel more rejuvenated and rested in the morning with the right pillow.
Other benefits include:
• Less stiffness, discomfort, and/or pain in the neck, shoulders, and upper back
• Better recovery with better quality sleep
• Reduces headaches
• Prevent TMJ disorders
• Improves respiration issues such as snoring by promoting an open airway
• Reduce stress on joints by preventing any unnatural twisting or bending.
• Reduce strains on muscles, joints, and discs
• Improve posture
Whether you sleep on your back or sides, your spine should be neutral. The proper pillow should promote spinal alignment where all three natural spinal curvatures are supported.
A pillow too high may cause the cervical spine to be elevated. A pillow too low may cause the cervical spine to be unsupported. The proper pillow should put the head in proper height so the cervical spine is neutral.
When using your new orthopedic pillow, allow time to adjust to it to avoid sleep and neck pain issues. A few tips to avoid overuse when you first get your pillow includes:
• Alternate between your old pillow and new pillow each night during the adjustment phase (few weeks to a month).
• Alternatively, use your new orthopedic pillow for a few hours and slowly increase time of use until you can use it all night comfortably.
At Paradise Chiropractic Health & Wellness clinic, our experienced practitioners can treat your neck concerns effectively, and in addition give you at-home advice for better self-management. With various cervical products from orthopedic pillows to cervical traction devices, we can recommend a product that best fits you. For a complimentary consultation or any other inquiries give us a call at (604) 496-0626, email at firstname.lastname@example.org, or book online at https://paradisechiropractic.janeapp.com